When I logged in to the NaNoWriMo website today to update my wordcount (only by a little, the evening is still young), I was greeted with a big logo:
I had expected to submit my story once more, to trigger winning manually, but that was not necessary.
So I won. I managed to write more than 50,000 words in under a month. Yay!
If you followed my NaNoWriMo diary, you know that my novel is still unfinished. I fully intend to complete it, but I think there is little point in posting about my updated word count for another five days. I’ll keep you guys posted on the progress, and on the eventual rewrite, but I think daily updates are no longer necessary.
I wrote a mere 929 words today, way below the NaNoWriMo “quota” of 1667 words. I know, I know – not only are 1667 words an average per day, I am also at 53397 words according to NaNoWriMo’s word counter. I can afford to slack off a little. I still wrote 929 words, which is, well, a whole lot better than the zero words I was tempted to write today. The energy and motivation was just not there, and again I feel it shows in the (lack of) quality of my writing.
The temptation to just stop is quite big at the moment. I really do want to complete the story, though. I keep telling myself that the NaNoWriMo “victory” means nothing if I don’t make it to “The End”.
From the plot perspective, I got the first step of the resolution in place now. Today’s 900 words were the foundation of part of the climactic action, so it was progress and not just increased word count.
Not much to talk about today. I had to force myself to actually write, and I think the quality of today’s section shows it. Never mind, that we can fix later. I really, really need to get this thing done in a kind of tour de force, I think, because it’s a real chore now and I want to work on other things again.
NaNoWriMo is over in a week, so an end is in sight. I think I will not do the rewrite / editing in December. I will not touch the story in at least a month. But first I need to get it done.
Good news everyone: I officially made the NaNoWriMo goal today. (Yesterday, as I have done lately I write this posting the next morning, on the 23rd.) The NaNoWriMo website gives me a corrected word count of 50781. Of course I am not nearly done with the story, and so this does not really feel like a victory, but rather like a major milestone.
I am still glad I made it, of course.
I had some trouble last night because the way I approached the resolution to my plot turned out to be impossible. It was fairly easy to change it, however. Nevertheless it required me to backtrack through a lot of what I had written over the past days, and correct it to match the new version of events. That took up way too much time, and I probably introduced inconsistencies.
Time to remember my mantra: December is for editing and rewriting.
I have started to use the “correct” word count on my NaNoWriMo profile page, so you’ll actually see a drop in the word count there. I am now tracking both counts in my own statistics, and I added it as an extra graph in the chart:
So there we go, including the Openoffice bug, I reache 50,000 words. It’s not quite the great achievement, because I know I am roughly two to three thousand words below it. But this weekend shall be my victory weekend. In fact, I will try my best to push ahead, because I am really, really tired of writing this thing.
Not much to say about the whole thing. My protagonists are on their way to the grand finale, but of course there’s still much ahead of them.
I am glad I am doing NaNoWriMo, but I will also be glad when it is over.
I made minimum progress today. Part of the reason was that I had to clean up yesterday’s writing quite a lot. I should have just called it a day instead of hammering out words when I was clearly too tired to do so. Ah, well, at least I tried. The other reason for my slightly low word count today is that I was at an awesome point to break, and so I took this opportunity.
While I am closing in on the 50,000 I am actually only at a little over 46,000 words currently. The difference is something to keep in mind – damned OpenOffice bug! Still, 4000 words is about three days of work, so that’s quite okay.
I am however still very far from actually completing the novel. My protagonists are about to tackle the main problem (and the additional obstacles I have in mind for them), but today was low on action. I did set a few things up for later – if only I can make them work.
Word count: 45012 (+2128 from day 17). (However, see below for a problem with this!)
Uneventful evening. Made the 45k milestone. There’s pretty much no way I will conclude the story by 50,000. Wrote a lot of dialog / exposition today. Now that they have the necessary information, my protagonists will soon set out on their quest to save the world™.
I did note that I work better when I have a certain minimum intake of sugars. Which is really not cool, but it is something I should keep in min for the future.
In more general NaNoWriMo news (ha, I thought I’d never include that again!), they brought their word count tool online for testing. Interestingly enough, it counts only 43678 words when I paste my work into it – 1334 words less than what OpenOffice counts. I am not too concerned over this (although it is good to know now rather than on the 30th…).
It was reported to be a bug with OpenOffice. I verified it, and indeed found the issue already filed at OpenOffice.org. That’s quite annoying, but since I used the “broken” word count, I’ll probably continue to do so as there is no way I can correct the counts of the previous days. Since NaNoWriMo verifies to the correct count anyway, I’ll just have to make sure to have a good many words more than I need. Considering how much I still need to write that should hardly be a problem.
If any of you do use OpenOffice you should definitely check if this problem affects you.